Halloween is almost here. Time for trick-or-treating, black and orange decorations, and lots and lots of candy. Getting together with friends and loved ones is a tradition. This year, celebrate a green Halloween with these tips.
Put the green into carving your pumpkins.
- Buy your pumpkin locally.
- Save the insides and repurpose them in different recipes.
- Don’t use bleach to make your pumpkin last longer. After the season ends and you’re ready to get rid of it, critters can use it for food. A natural way to extend the life of your creation is to use vinegar. (1 part vinegar to 10 parts water)
Make an eco-friendly costume.
- Reuse everyday household items that would otherwise go to waste. Get creative – use cardboard boxes to become a robot or turn toilet paper rolls into a pirate’s telescope.
- Take advantage of what’s in your closet. You probably already have a costume in there!
- Upgrade last year’s costume with some added fake blood.
If you want candy at home, make your own! This will cut down on wrapper waste. Here are some ideas:
- Caramel apples. Everyone can decorate precisely how their sweet tooth desires.
- Sugared pecans.
- Anything chocolate-dipped. Pretzels, strawberries, marshmallows, etc.
Halloween Movie Night
Put on a marathon of the family’s favorites to get in the Halloween spirit. The eco-friendly spin on this one is pretty simple:
- Keep the lights off!
From all of us at Flair, happy green Halloween!